Dedicated to supporting the mission of the Children’s Security Blanket (CSB) that helps families get lifesaving treatment for their children battling cancer. CSB provides support for transportation, lodging and meals during treatment travel, and with the critical challenges of daily living that may threaten timely healthcare.
Our work is to stimulate greater awareness of the special needs of children with cancer, to identify local resources for their families, and to encourage financial support through direct contributions and special events. OPTIMISTS are building a safety net for these most precious cancer victims.
The mission of the Children’s Security Blanket is to provide comprehensive support
and loving compassion to families whose children are battling cancer
to improve their overall quality of life.
- Somewhere in America, a child is diagnosed with cancer every three minutes…more than 200 South Carolina children every year, who join thousands more already diagnosed and battling for survival
- There are only three places in South Carolina that treat pediatric cancer – Charleston, Columbia and Greenville; many specialized treatments require travel to Baltimore, Houston, Memphis, New York, Philadelphia
- CSB children are referred for assistance by the oncology social workers at their treatment hospitals
- CSB then works directly with the family to determine their particular needs, and to make certain their child has timely access to the right care, whatever that requires.
- The most frequent challenges are transportation to treatment, safe and clean housing, nutritional food and emotional support.